The myriad of options available to homeowners and commercial property owners seeking the best value in a new entry door system typically has them asking this very question: fiberglass vs steel door—which is the better entry door? Both fiberglass and steel offer major advantages over wood exterior doors, which, while beautiful, require regular maintenance and lack the endurance, security and energy efficiency of fiberglass or steel.
ProVia, which offers both fiberglass and steel entry doors, offers its insight into choosing the best front door system for your home or business property.
Here’s how each type of entry door stacks up for major door-buying factors:
Fiberglass entry doors are the #1 replacement choice by homeowners and are best suited for single-home residences. Here’s why:
- Beauty—Fiberglass doors most closely mimic the defined grain of authentic wood doors and come in a number of wood grain textures like oak, cherry, mahogany and fir, as well as a variety of stain and paint colors. Additionally, fiberglass doors offer many options for door glass, including decorative door glass, which improves curb appeal. All ProVia entry doors are custom-made to the size and style specifications of the buyer for maximum impact.
- Endurance—Unlike wood doors, fiberglass doors do not shrink, warp, split, crack or delaminate. They’re ideal for harsh or humid climates. Because fiberglass doors last so long, many come with long warranties. ProVia entry doors, for instance, come with a Lifetime Limited Warranty that guarantees the doors through the entirety of the ownership of the home by the door purchaser, plus one subsequent homeowner.
- Maintenance—Fiberglass doors offer the lowest maintenance, resist denting and scratching, and can be cleaned with mild soap and water. These doors can be re-finished but must be done by a professional.
- Energy efficiency—Exterior steel doors are significantly more energy efficient than wood, based on overall construction. Solid Legacy steel doors meet ENERGY STAR certification for energy efficiency; depending on the glass package chosen, Legacy doors with glass may also meet certification. Learn more about Energy Star at the end of this article.
- Security—The solid construction of exterior fiberglass doors provides significant security over wood doors.
- Cost—Fiberglass front doors can be comparable in cost to wood doors or can be significantly higher, depending on the model, glass options and hardware selected, but offer longer durability and far less maintenance.
Exterior steel doors more commonly are used by commercial property owners but also are well-suited for residential purposes.
- Beauty—Steel doors are available in smooth or wood grain textures in multiple stains and paint finishes, and come in a variety of door styles, including some with glass.
- Maintenance—Although generally low maintenance, if scratched through the galvanization, these doors can rust if not properly primed and painted. Dents and dings can be pulled and puttied with an auto-body repair kit. ProVia’s Legacy Steel doors come with a Lifetime Limited Warranty that is transferable to one subsequent homeowner.
- Energy Efficiency—Exterior steel doors are significantly more energy efficient than wood, based on overall construction. Solid Legacy steel doors meet ENERGY STAR certification for energy efficiency; depending on the glass package chosen, Legacy doors with glass may also meet certification.
- Security—Steel front doors offer the best solution for property owners concerned with building or home security.
- Cost—Steel doors are very affordable compared to wood doors and offer significant long-term value. Total cost can vary widely depending on door style and options chosen.
ProVia’s Legacy Steel entry doors are custom-built to owner specifications. Custom door sizes up to 8-feet are available, along with glass and texture options (smooth or wood grain) and multiple stain and paint finishes.
Visit our Design Center for ideas and inspiration or for design tools to help you configure your next front door.
When it comes to making a decision regarding a fiberglass vs. steel door, either option will offer beauty, energy efficiency, durability, and security, but factors such as the type of property (single-family residential vs. commercial), security needs, and cost can help you determine which door is best for your needs.
If you are looking for ideas and inspiration before deciding on your entry door, visit our Design Center, where you can configure your fiberglass vs. steel door or even use our 2D Visualizer tool, where you can upload a photo of your home or use a photo of a sample home to visualize how each type of door would look on your home.
ENERGY STAR is a program administered by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) that partners with thousands of organizations across the country to promote energy efficiency. These partnerships deliver cost-saving solutions that protect the climate, air quality, and overall public health.
ProVia has been a proud ENERGY STAR partner since 2002. ENERGY STAR-certified windows and doors have been tested and approved to meet energy-efficiency standards set by the EPA. These products deliver both energy savings and value to our customers.
To learn more about ENERGY STAR and the benefits of choosing an ENERGY STAR-certified product, visit energystar.gov.