SUGARCREEK, Ohio, February 15, 2018 –Any building project, whether it's an exterior spruce-up or a full-blown new home construction, requires detailed planning to be successful, and manufactured stone veneer is no exception. Stone work involves a unique set of materials and formulas that can create a huge headache if they’re not properly calculated ahead of time. To make things easier and to foolproof stone projects, this video offers a handy checklist that any installer should consider before getting started.
To apply the stone, you’ll need Type S mortar, which is also used in your grout joints. To estimate the amount of mortar you’ll need to mix, follow these general rules:
- For the scratch coat needed for your surface prep, estimate 1 bag of Type S mortar per 100 square feet
- For applying the stone, estimate 1 bag of Type S mortar per 100 square feet
- For grouted applications, estimate 1 bag of Type S mortar per 100 square feet
For sand needed when mixing the mortar, estimate 2 parts sand per 1 part mortar. For example, if you're using a 70-pound bag of mortar you’ll need 140 pounds of sand.
Water-Resistant Barrier (WRB)
Most applications will require 2 layers of code approved, water-resistant barrier (WRB) that meets ASTM standard E2556/E2556m.
Self-Furring Metal Lath
- Applications may also require code approved, corrosion-resistant, self-furring metal lath or 18-gauge woven wire mesh meeting ASTM C 1032
- When installing to a rigid back wall, the lath will most likely be 2.5 pound self-furring galvanized expanded metal lath
You’ll also need rigid and flexible corrosion-resistant flashing for use with openings, protrusions and surface transitions.
Weep Screen Material
Finally, you’ll need a weep screen material, as a means of drainage at the final grade.
# # #
Headquartered in Sugarcreek, Ohio, ProVia is a leading manufacturer of professional-class entry doors, storm doors, patio doors, windows, vinyl siding and manufactured stone. The professional-class designation reflects the company's high level of quality, service and customization. ProVia has been an ENERGY STAR® Partner with the Environmental Protection Agency and the U.S. Department of Energy since 2002, and has won ten ENERGY STAR awards: Partner of the Year for Door Manufacturing (four times), Sustained Excellence (five times), and Excellence in ENERGY STAR Promotion. ProVia employs nearly 800 people at its headquarters and 5 manufacturing facilities in Sugarcreek, Walnut Creek and Baltic, Ohio, and Booneville, Miss. For more information, visit http://www.provia.com.