ProVia & its Network of Expert Window Installers Can Take the Uncertainty out of Your Replacement Window Project
So, when is the right time for replacing windows?
It’s a big decision, and not just because of the replacement cost involved. Windows also represent a major lifestyle investment, affecting the amount of light that enters your home and the overall look and feel of your house.
They also have a direct effect on the cost of running your home. According to the US Department of Energy, heating and cooling account for 48% of the average home’s energy usage, and replacing old windows can help you manage that cost.
Thanks to the initial installation investment, the lifestyle impact and the heating and cooling savings related to new windows, any decision – like what type of replacement windows to buy or when to buy them – can seem overwhelming.
But it doesn’t have to be difficult. Here are some simple, common sense questions to help you decide when it’s time to replace your windows:
- Are your heating and cooling bills higher for no discernable reason?
- Do you feel a draft from your windows?
- Does condensation or frost build up on the inside of your windows?
- Have the window frames begun to sag or deteriorate?
“Yes” answers to any of these questions are a good indication that it’s time for replacement windows.
Also, give your windows a quick inspection:
- If the glass is hot to the touch in the summer or cold to the touch in winter, that’s another sign your windows are inefficient and should be replaced.
- Windows that don’t open or close properly are also good candidates for replacement, as are windows where the sashes don’t seal tightly at the bottom.
Another reason to replace windows is a little less practical but no less important: It’s OK to decide on replacing your windows because they’re old, out of date, and mismatched with your home’s exterior and interior design. A home makeover is an excellent time to buy new windows and freshen your home’s curb appeal.
If all indications suggest it’s time to replace your windows, the next question – especially with cold weather upon us – is obvious: is winter a good time to buy new windows?
The answer is yes, if you find a qualified installer with the expertise and integrity needed for the job. An experienced window installer will:
- Replace each window quickly
- Keep the cold air from reaching other areas of your home as much as possible
- Use the appropriate caulk for the weather conditions
Reasons that winter can be the right time for replacing your home windows include:
- Fewer scheduling difficulties – Cold weather usually means less work for home renovators, and less work can put your project at the front of the line, even when it involves custom replacement windows.
- Lower heating bills – With most of winter still ahead of us, replacing your windows now means you can cut your heating costs immediately, especially if you purchase certified Energy Star windows. Waiting for warmer weather means you’ll be paying unnecessarily high heating bills for months.
So let your windows be your guide when it comes to buying replacements. If they’re drafty, inefficient or just plain wrong for your home, any time can be the right time for replacing windows.